ABOUT ST. JOHN’S
The congregation that became St. John’s Lutheran church began in 1869 as a congregation called the First Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. The congregation rented a facility on West Third Street (now the Northfield Arts Guild Theater) and other sites before they built their first church in 1881 at the northeast corner of Fourth and Washington streets, where the Benson and Langehough Funeral Home is today. A second building, at the current site on West Third Street, was dedicated in 1913.
The church’s contributions to the Collaborative to date include early photographs of the congregation and its buildings, a history of the church written for its 75th anniversary, early receipts and subscription lists from the 1870s, and a membership book from 1867 to 1880 including baptisms, confirmations, marriages, and funerals.
Find a detailed survey of the church’s historical collections here.
Find a more general summary of the collection here.