ABOUT THE BANK
First National Bank of Northfield was established in 1872. During the first 21 years of its existence, the bank was headquartered in the Scriver Building, the site now occupied by the Northfield Historical Society. It was there that the infamous bank raid of 1876 by the James-Younger gang occurred. In 1893, the bank moved to the Nutting Building at the corner of Fourth and Division Streets, which was built in 1889. In 1976, the bank expanded into the building next door, the Second Mergen Building, that had been occupied by a retail clothing store. It was acquired by the bank in 1990. First National Bank of Northfield was purchased in Merchant’s Bank in 2020 and continues to operate on the corner of Fourth and Division Streets in Northfield.
The bank’s current collections in the DHC include the 80+ items formerly displayed in its lobby display case, and cartes-de-visite of key actors in the 1876 bank raid.
This collection is now housed at the Northfield Historical Society.
Find a detailed survey of the bank’s historical collections here.
Find a more general summary of the collection here.
Northfield Historical Society is located at 408 Division St. in Northfield. The NHS can be reached at 507-645-9268 or http://www.northfieldhistory.org/.